We are looking for an Associate Manager – Urban Transport Financing & Governance Reforms
Janaagraha is a non-profit trust, established in 2001, working towards the mission of transforming quality of life in India’s cities and towns. It works with citizens to catalyse active citizenship in city neighbourhoods and with governments to institute reforms to city governance (what we call “City-Systems”). Janaagraha part of the JANA Group – one of India’s best-known groups of not-for-profit institutions working towards the mission of fixing India’s cities. Swati Ramanathan and Ramesh Ramanathan co-founded Jana Group in 2001 and it presently works across citizen participation and city governance reforms (through Janaagraha Centre for Citizenship and Democracy), city planning and design (through Jana Urban Space Foundation), banking and financial services for the urban poor (through Jana Small Finance Bank) and affordable housing for the urban poor (through Janaadhar).
We are looking for a highly passionate and competent individual to work on reforms in urban public transport financing and governance with special focus on bus transportation. This position is part of Janaagraha’s Advocacy & Reforms team, which works closely with governments, academicians, think-tanks and consulting organisations to drive key systemic urban governance reforms. This is a limited tenure position of 2 years with a possibility for further extension, based on candidate performance.
If you’re interested, please write to Nimisha Bency at email@example.com with a cover note on why you fit this role well as well as your CV.
What will Associate Manager- Urban Transport Financing and Governance Reforms do?
Your work will revolve largely around two areas:
- building knowledge and content around public and bus transport financing and developing communication/engagement collaterals that help push governments, parastatals and key-stakeholders toward definite action on financing and
- providing technical advisory support to governments, parastatals and state transport undertakings on institutionalising a financing mechanism (akin to setting up a public/bus transport fund)
In doing so, you will work closely with different members of the Advocacy and Reforms team and at frequent intervals, engage with the CEO as well. You will be required to lead, with adequate guidance and support, most aspects of these two pieces including conducting desktop based research, stakeholder interviews and consultations, crafting policy briefs and thought-leadership pieces, crafting senior stakeholder presentations, financial landscaping and data analysis etc. You will also be part of meetings and engagements with senior stakeholders across governments, consulting orgs, academia, think-tanks and NGOs/CSOs. To give you more clarity, listing some more activities below:
- Undertake research on urban transport & bus transport to publish thought leadership pieces, Op-eds & white papers;
- Develop tools & resources for data driven discourse/ decision making in the government’s public/bus transportation ecosystem;
- Ensure deliverables are of high quality and completed on time;
- Build and nurture relationships with senior government functionaries as well as transport/urban sector experts;
- Co-ordinate with government departments, STUs, on-ground personnel, consultants, civil society organizations and external stakeholders as required;
- Analyse data, create presentations and frequent updates for senior management within Janaagraha, relevant stakeholders and donors;
- Help deepen knowledge and analytical firepower in India’s public bus transport and identifying contemporary trends and advocacy agendas;
- Engage with and persuade government functionaries to administer robust bus transport reforms and governance
We think you’ll fit this role well if you have:
- At least 2.5 years of professional work experience in Public Finance, Infrastructure Financing, Government and/or Management Consulting or Economics
- Any of the following educational qualifications – Bachelor’s / Post Graduation Diploma / Master’s Degree in Business, Economics, Finance, Engineering or Transport Planning ;
- A keen interest in urban infrastructure financing and awareness of the public transport industry trends and best practices
- Strong financial, analytical and numerical skills as well as aptitude
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, including strong presentation making skills
- The drive and ability to own pieces of work in entirety, needing minimal supervision
- The ability to deliver in unstructured and challenging environments, including working on tight timelines and in a data-poor ecosystem
If you think you fit this role well despite not ticking some of the boxes mentioned above, we encourage you to apply. While we do emphasise on some basic filters, such as minimum work experience, good presentation making skills, good numerical aptitude, good working knowledge of finance and financing – we understand that not all are essential in helping deliver well.
What does Janaagraha have to offer?
At Janaagraha, you will be part of a multi-disciplinary team of professionals and passionate citizens who apply cutting-edge technologies and practices aimed at strengthening India’s cities. We offer a dynamic, driven, remunerative and vibrant work environment for professionals who are passionate about investing their time, skill sets and energy to transform quality of life in urban India.
We have a work culture where timeliness, quality, initiative, ownership and ideation are emphasised over work schedules, plans and hierarchy. The advocacy and reforms team consists largely of young professionals coming from diverse educational backgrounds – management, technology, social sciences – and work experiences – consulting, investment management, marketing and branding and research.
At work, you will be exposed to a unique combination of policy, practice and platforms and will have abundant opportunities to learn from the industry’s best and apply professional skills to complex social challenges.