I am Sapna Karim, Head- Civic Participation at Janaagraha Centre for Citizenship and Democracy.. Since 2001 I have been with Janaagraha’s Civic Participation program which we now call I Change My City. I Change My City is a pioneering movement for citizen participation in India’s cities. (www.ichangemycity.com)
I am looking for a high-energy individual to champion the causes of citizen participation, civic volunteering and civic leadership amongst citizens, college youth and neighbourhood communities.
S/he will live the values of citizenship and civic leadership, turbo-charge communities to do the same and walk with me to make I Change My City a success in the state of Odisha-based out of Bhubaneshwar, patiently stitch partnerships with like-minded civil society organisations, community groups and city governments, and lead the project management and communications with all stakeholders
If you are this person, go ahead and read on below and reach out to me at firstname.lastname@example.org
What does it take to be the Senior Manager – Civic Participation with I Change My City?
In my view s/he would possess
- Unlimited passion for transforming our cities over the long-term, particularly in the areas of citizen participation in neighbourhoods, civic leadership and civic volunteering
- Systematic and responsive work approach to project management
- Ability to balance urgency in accomplishing daily/weekly/monthly activities and tasks, with patience in navigating the complex systems change process
- Out of the world interpersonal skills and communication skills to energise and motivate communities and stimulate citizen participation, civic leadership and volunteering in city neighbourhoods
- The nuance to identify partnership opportunities and the perseverance to convert, nurture and scale them
- Reasonable familiarity or presence in social media and orientation to digital
- Experience and professionalism required to serve as support to head of the program in project management, communications, and strengthening stakeholder relationships.
- Be patient with outcomes, but relentless in executing a strong systematic engagement with communities and city governments to create irreversible positive change in transforming citizenship in our cities
What does the Senior Manager – Civic Participation really do?
- Gain an in-depth understanding of the cities (Bhubaneshwar and Behrampur) through intense interactions with residents, academia, youth, businesses and government among others
- Mobilise communities in focused areas in the city to work on participatory budgeting programs and infrastructure assessment initiatives with the objective of engaging them in the decision making processes at the neighbourhood level with government
- Leverage and promote the I Change My City platform as an enabler for citizens and city governments to collaborate on civic matters
- Meet with senior leaders in civil society, active community groups, academia and governments with partnership proposals
- Draw up detailed project plans and list of target stakeholders for the above
- Speak at convenings of corporate employees, college youth and neighbourhood communities on citizen participation, civic leadership and volunteering to motivate and encourage citizens to become active citizens and participate or volunteer in neighbourhood level civic matters
- 7Create significant presence in social media channels, and ensure disciplined execution of a practical, workable communications plan directed at specific target stakeholders
- Work closely with head of the team, the product manager, citizen volunteers, other team members to deliver on citizen engagement and communication strategy across the project lifecycle in both the cities of Bhubaneshwar and Berhampur
- Maintain oversight on project budgets and cash-flows, under the supervision and guidance of the head of the team
- Anchor reporting of project milestones to all relevant stakeholders
- Apply themselves to this role full time
Qualifications and Experience
A Graduate / Masters in any discipline, preferably with hands-on experience of having engaged in urban areas with communities and city governments for the better part of a 18-20 year career
What’s in it for the Senior Manager – Civic Participation?
You will be part of the most important journey and project in modern times, that of building a democratic society. India’s cities as you know from your own personal experiences are fairly terrible places to live. How do we get together as citizens, engage constructively with each other and with governments to create lasting change? You will be part of the solution to this BIG question for which no one yet anywhere in the world has found the perfect answer.
What Janaagraha Offers
At Janaagraha, you will be part of a multi-disciplinary team of professionals and passionate citizens who apply cutting-edge technologies and practices aimed at social change in India’s cities. We offer a dynamic, driven and vibrant work environment for professionals who are passionate about investing their time, skill sets and energy to transform quality of life in India’s cities. At work, you will be exposed to a unique combination of policy, practice and platforms and will have abundant opportunities to learn and apply professional skills to social challenges.
Commensurate to the experience.